Thinking in Swift
Understanding the Patterns of Programming in Swift
Date: Saturday, May 21st
This fast-paced workshop shows you how to take advantage of Swift features to write more robust code that is easier to reason about. We’ll spend a good part of the day looking at functional programming and playing with map, filter, reduce, and flatmap but we will also create instances of classes, structs, and enums. We’ll explore how your iOS app architecture may change when you embrace idiomatic Swift.
One of the strengths of Swift is that it can borrow the best from a multitude of paradigms. We’ll look at how to successfully weave together OO and functional code into a readable and flexible architecture and focus on protocol oriented programming.
Prerequisites: We assume that you are an experienced programmer who has spent some time looking at Swift but you aren’t yet an expert in Swift. You understand most of the hows and whats of working with Swift and are looking for the whys and wheres. You need a Mac running Yosemite or El Capitan with the latest publicly shipping version of Xcode 7.x installed.
Duration: approx. 8h
Fee: 150 € - You don’t need a UIKonf ticket to attend this workshop.
Social Event Tickets and UIKonf Charity Donation Drive
It is one of the main principles behind UIKonf that it should not only be a conference with amazing talks but also a place to make new friends thereby fostering the iOS developer community. With this goal in mind, last year we introduced free social events in order to have some good time with fellow conference attendees and break the ice before the conference properly starts. These events have been a great success: about two thirds of our attendees took part. Bikes were ridden, museums were visited, boat tours were taken, ice was broken.
This year UIKonf social events are stronger than ever and include not only our traditional bike tour but also some new events like a visit to the Stasi Museum. You can find out about the social events here
Furthermore, we want our events this year to serve a special purpose: We would like to use them as a means to raise donations for charity - Given the situation with the Syrian refugee crisis, we decided to help the people who have been driven from their homes by the war in Syria. In addition to the hundreds of thousands of refugees who manage to reach the relative safety of Europe, there are millions of people who are suffering in Syria and its neighbouring countries.
You can register your social event ticket through the confirmation email you received after registering your main conference ticket (if you registered before February the 28th you should have received a separate email from us). There is no minimum price for the social event tickets, but we suggest a donation of 5€. Feel free to chip in more because 100% of the revenue from the social event ticket sales go to Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (in German with a link to English) which is doing great work helping people who are on the run from the war in Syria.
Facebook workshop - Hackathon prizes - UIKonf App
Register for the Hackathon!
If you are attending the conference, you will have received an email to the register for the hackathon. Registration is currently limited to attendees only. If we have any of the 120 spots left by Friday night, we will open registration to the public.
We are happy to already announce some of the prices we will give away during the hackathon.
- AppCode licences by Jetbrains for 2 teams
- 3 Estimote developer packs (iBeacons)
- 1 Hipster Bike Package (Singlespeed Bike, Kryptonite Schloss, Ass Saver, Knogs Lampen) sponsored by TapGlue
React Native Workshop by Facebook
- What React Native is, and why you would use it
- Building and debugging a React Native application
- Integrating React Native views into an existing app
- Creating native iOS modules and views for use in a React application
Each workshop will include a presentation and live coding demonstration.
The workshops are free to attend and take place on Monday and Tuesday from 11:30am to 1pm in the small room upstairs in Heimathafen. If you want to attend, be sure to be on time to get a seat.
We've been busy as well. Maxim created the UIKonf App that contains the schedule and additional information about locations.Get the app
UICollectionView workshop by Paweł Dudek
UICollectionView is a very powerful component in UIKit. Every iOS developer has heard about it, at least he should. It seems to be pretty straight forward and easy to use and manipulate. That is true, however… not entirely. UIColletionView has a lot of potential, which can be overwhelming and dangerous to careless programmer.
We provide great overview of the UICollectionView and related classes! In our workshop we cover following topics:
- Introduction to UICollectionView: You’ll learn what it really is and what are its core components. You’ll write your first collection view code (if you haven’t done it before earlier).
- Custom Collection View Layouts: This is more advanced. It will bring you to the world of custom layouts which is really fun. This part very carefully walks through the process of creating and configuring your own layout and shares lots of useful tips.
- Layout Transitions: In this part you’ll explore the power of collection view and probably the coolest feature - automatic and interactive layout transitions. During the series of exercises you’ll learn how to design and create your own animations and transitions.
- Dynamics & Collection Views: You’ll learn that binding UIKit Dynamics with UICollectionView isn’t that hard and enables you to create beautiful visual effects.
Prerequisites for attendance:
- Mac with latest developer tools installed
- Knowledge of Objective-C and generic iOS knowledge — you don’t have to be an iOS ninja, but we do require basic knowledge and understanding of how the OS works
- Humor and hunger for knowledge!
Time and Location:
The workshop runs from 10:00 to 18:00 and will take place on Saturday April 11, 2015 in the Wooga office.
- 10:00 - 10:30 Introduction
- 10:30 - 12:00 Introduction to UICollectionView
- 12:00 - 12:15 Break
- 12:15 - 13:45 Custom Collection View Layouts
- 13:45 - 14:30 Lunch Break
- 14:30 - 16:00 Layout Transitions
- 16:15 - 16:30 Break
- 16:30 - 18:00 Dynamics & Collection Views
Since UIKonf started, we offered student tickets at a greatly reduced price to make it easier for the members of our community to attend who are just starting out and can't afford the full price, yet.
This year we are happy to introduce UIKonf scholarships!
The scholarships are different from the student tickets in two ways:
- They are free! Normal scholarships fully cover the conference ticket. We will try to help with travel costs if we can but due to our limited budget we are not promising anything.
- They are merit and need based: we are looking creative and talented developers who really need our help to be able to attend the conference.
Our goal with the scholarships is to award budding developers with limited means. So please don't apply if you are already some years into your career and have job or a stable income as a freelancer.
We are looking forward to reviewing your applications!